Train speed and yellow signals

This forum is for technical support queries relating to Trainz A New Era. For bug reporting, please submit your bug report via N3V's helpdesk at http://support.trainzportal.com
hutten

Train speed and yellow signals

Unread postby hutten » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:58 pm

Hello Shane and other trainzers,
My question concerns the response of trains to signals. I have asked the same question on the Trainz forum some months ago, but did not get satisfactory replies.
What I observe is that a train slows down from a point very far (approx half a mile) in rear of a yellow signal, to 50% of the local speed limit (unless that limit itself is very low, below 40 km/h (25 mph)). This is very unprototypical for European trains. No need to slow down before passing the warning signal, its distance to the stop signal being at least braking distance. (And how would the driver know that the signal is yellow before he actually sees it? Cab signalling is not part of classical European trains.)
I use signals with bloodnok's script, and they therefore rely on the built-in trainz logic of red, yellow and green.
Would you know how to change the speed limit associated with a yellow signal? Or reduce the range of its effect (preferably to zero)?
Of course, if I would do more scripting and use the non-standard extended signal states (i.e. speed signal states), I could avoid the slowdown. But that would be a lot more work and it would also mean that I get a script that includes both my own and someone else's code, which would prevent its distribution.
Thanks in advance.

Paul

shaneturner12
Site Admin

Re: Train speed and yellow signals

Unread postby shaneturner12 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:31 pm

Apologies for a late response - have had several other commitments.

The 50% of limit sounds about right although it's gauged by how far the train can see the signal (the autopilot distance).

In TS12 and earlier versions this can be reduced to 200m using trainzoptions.txt. In terms of the actual speed I think this may be hardcoded into the game.

Shane

hutten

Re: Train speed and yellow signals

Unread postby hutten » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:28 am

shaneturner12 wrote:Apologies for a late response - have had several other commitments.

The 50% of limit sounds about right although it's gauged by how far the train can see the signal (the autopilot distance).

In TS12 and earlier versions this can be reduced to 200m using trainzoptions.txt. In terms of the actual speed I think this may be hardcoded into the game.

Shane

Shane,
Thanks. I have not looked myself here for some weeks. Sorry to hear that this behaviour is hard-coded. It leads to unrealistic operation and journey times become unnecessarily long. Is this prototypical for Australian railways? I cannot believe it. For heavy freight trains (with cab signals) maybe.
Why slow down before reaching the distant signal if the stop signal is at braking distance? It would suggest placing the distant closer to the danger signal but that does not correspond to the prototype. Are most people using custom scripted signals to avoid this issue?
Do you think I should start a thread on this and if so where on the Trainz forum is the best place to do that?
Regards.
Paul

Return to “Trainz A New Era”